Monday, October 10, 2011
Using the Greenhouse Effect Triangles
Steven Mosher is a smart guy. He calculates that a doubling of CO2 would equal 1.5 degrees of warming. Most people estimate 1.2 degrees for a doubling. The version of the Kimoto equation estimates 0.8 degrees warming.
Using the triangles, the surface warming estimated by the equation is 0.8 which would cause 1.5 degrees warming at the top of the red triangle. For the 1.2 estimate, it depends where that warming actually takes place. If the 1.2 is warming at the top of the triangle it produces 0.86 warming at the surface. If that 1.2 is warming at the surface, it produces 1.7 degrees warming at the top of the triangle. What happens depends on where it happens.
For simplicity, just use 1.4 and 0.7, the ratio of the flux and the direction of the points. Surface times 1.4 ~ top, top times 0.7 ~ surface. Most of the differences in estimates is the choice of the frame of reference.
- Simple Versus Too Simple
- New Blog For Easier Navigation
- Carbon Dioxide- A Not so Well Mixed Gas
- Another Shot at Explaining the Atmospheric Effect
- Phonon Versus Photon Research List
- The Relativity Series Begins Under Cosmic Puzzles
- Atmospheric Phonons - RHC and the Greenhouse Effec...
- What the Heck is Effective Emissivity?
- Sci-Fi and the Tropopause Heat Sink
- Could Atmospheric Conductivity Help Regulate Antar...
- The Relative Motion of Low Energy Photons in a Mi...
- What is a Pyrometer Measuring When You Aim it at t...
- I am Still Getting Flack over the Value of Down We...
- What is The 4C Thermal Boundary?
- The Mysterious Case of the Missing Heat
- Orphan Photons? Are They Dark Energy?
- A Little Help Please. Global Average Surface Pres...
- Determing How Wrong I May Be
- Relativistic Conduction of Heat
- What is the Gain of the CO2 Control Knob?
- Science as a Contact Sport
- A Point I Missed Explaining Very Well- The Tropopa...
- Why The Estimates were Off and Why I am Moving On....
- Using the Greenhouse Effect Triangles
- Dark Energy and our Not Accelerating Expanding Uni...
- Explaining why Einstien, Angstrom, Plank, Stefan-B...
- Now, to Truly Prove I am a Whack Job
- IPCC Down Welling Radiation Violates the Law!
- Just For Fun
- How Ohms Law Relates to Atmospheric Physics
- While Energy is Fungible, the Work is Not
- Poisson! Poisson!
- Chaos Mathematical Description of the Earth System...
- Comparison of NASA and K&T
- Snake Oil Salesman or Simple Logic?
- A call for Mathematicians - The Greenhouse Effect,...
- A better Cartoon?
- Trenberth, Monckton and Lucia - Are They missing t...
- Back to Baking Bacon Bread
- Supplimental Issues for What's not Good
- So What's not to Like?
- Physical Principals for the Cartoon Sensitivity Ca...
- That Damn Cartoon and the Third Viscount of Puzzle...
- It is Just a Cartoon!
- ▼ October (46)