Thursday, October 6, 2011
Comparison of NASA and K&T
This is the NASA energy budget drawing that I consider the benchmark.
This is the K&T old drawing with the net values in red and the corresponding NASA values in blue. The issue is the net 26 into the clouds versus the 51 shown in the NASA drawing. What should be the basis for determining back radiation is lost with that one small mistake. If an effective temperature of the atmosphere is calculated using the sum of the energies absorbed by the atmosphere, the result will be off by a factor ~4.
The wonderful thing about figuring out which energy budget is more correct is that I can focus on how correct. The differences between the two appear insignificant, but the over estimate of DWR, which appears to be due to a small error compounded, has really muddied the waters.
With good confidence in the actual DWR and how is would be measured in the atmosphere, I can make a very simple model.
Update: The equation with the correct energy balance indicates something I had expected. I am satisfied with the solution.
- Simple Versus Too Simple
- New Blog For Easier Navigation
- Carbon Dioxide- A Not so Well Mixed Gas
- Another Shot at Explaining the Atmospheric Effect
- Phonon Versus Photon Research List
- The Relativity Series Begins Under Cosmic Puzzles
- Atmospheric Phonons - RHC and the Greenhouse Effec...
- What the Heck is Effective Emissivity?
- Sci-Fi and the Tropopause Heat Sink
- Could Atmospheric Conductivity Help Regulate Antar...
- The Relative Motion of Low Energy Photons in a Mi...
- What is a Pyrometer Measuring When You Aim it at t...
- I am Still Getting Flack over the Value of Down We...
- What is The 4C Thermal Boundary?
- The Mysterious Case of the Missing Heat
- Orphan Photons? Are They Dark Energy?
- A Little Help Please. Global Average Surface Pres...
- Determing How Wrong I May Be
- Relativistic Conduction of Heat
- What is the Gain of the CO2 Control Knob?
- Science as a Contact Sport
- A Point I Missed Explaining Very Well- The Tropopa...
- Why The Estimates were Off and Why I am Moving On....
- Using the Greenhouse Effect Triangles
- Dark Energy and our Not Accelerating Expanding Uni...
- Explaining why Einstien, Angstrom, Plank, Stefan-B...
- Now, to Truly Prove I am a Whack Job
- IPCC Down Welling Radiation Violates the Law!
- Just For Fun
- How Ohms Law Relates to Atmospheric Physics
- While Energy is Fungible, the Work is Not
- Poisson! Poisson!
- Chaos Mathematical Description of the Earth System...
- Comparison of NASA and K&T
- Snake Oil Salesman or Simple Logic?
- A call for Mathematicians - The Greenhouse Effect,...
- A better Cartoon?
- Trenberth, Monckton and Lucia - Are They missing t...
- Back to Baking Bacon Bread
- Supplimental Issues for What's not Good
- So What's not to Like?
- Physical Principals for the Cartoon Sensitivity Ca...
- That Damn Cartoon and the Third Viscount of Puzzle...
- It is Just a Cartoon!
- ▼ October (46)