Saturday, April 9, 2011
The Energy Budget Puzzle
Incoming Solar Watt/M^ 342
Reflected by Atm. 6.00% 20.52
Reflected by Clouds 20.00% 68.4
Reflected by surface 4.00% 13.68
absorbed by atm 16.00% 54.72
absorbed by clouds 3.00% 10.26
Radiation Absorbed by atm 15.00% 51.3
Absorbed via conduction 7.00% 23.94
absorbed via latent heat 23.00% 78.66
Radiated to space Clouds&atm 64.00% 218.88
Radiated Direct to space 6.00% 20.52
Radiated from Surface 21.00% 71.82
Absorbed by land/ocean 51.00% 174.42
As a note remember, if the Earth's temperature warms by 3 C, by the Stefan-Boltzmann law, the energy leaving Earth would increase by the fourth power of the temperature increase So, E(2100) would be 5.67e-8*[(291)^4-(288)^4] equals 16.5 Watt/M^2 more, or will it?
I had to correct E(2100) above. That should be the only correction.
This links to what is hopefully my final answer to the puzzle.
To witness a remarkable face plant, use this link to my error filled first answer.
Update: 10:37 10 Apr, Should you comment, try to play nice and not insult anyone other than me. I don't care, but some people are sensitive.
- Where is the Future?
- Our Hydrogen Home - Is it Worth it?
- The Trends?
- Scale Matters
- That Simple Greenhouse Effect
- It is Time to Pull the Trigger on Synfuels!
- More on that Whacky Tropopause
- More Natural Gas Pains
- Nuclear Power Thoughts with Fukushima in Mind
- Future Farming in Fukushima Prefecture
- The Zonal Potential Temperature plot above is fro...
- Things that Go Bump in the Twilight
- More on the Greenhouse Effect
- Sensitivity To Radiation - Things We Find When We ...
- That Silly Troposphere
- What the Frack! Now They Quibble About Natrual Gas...
- Even More Radiation Stuff From Japan
- Livin' in a Spherical World
- What's Going On?
- More on the Troposphere Sink
- How Did I Screw Up My Energy Budget Answer and Wha...
- My (incorrect) Answer to the Energy Budget Puzzle
- The Energy Budget Puzzle
- How to Take Something Simple and Really Complicate...
- Pondering Climate Change
- The Wind and the Pickens' Plan
- Back to the Future - Hydrogen Power Motor Coach
- So Where Did the Back Radiation Go?
- Fuel Cells, Electric Drives and Other Fun Stuff
- My Fuel Cell Tahoe
- More on Fukushima Response
- The RV of the Future
- More on Synthetic Fuels
- ▼ April (33)