Sunday, April 3, 2011

More on Fukushima Response

I have thought, read the opinion of others and concluded that the onset of the reactor situation could have been better handled. I, of course am a nobody that is just curious about nuclear power, since it may be a significant part of my life. My main concern is that venting could have started earlier. Had venting started earlier, then more could have been done to reduce the impact, even saving the reactors for future use. The conditions at the site were terrible, so that would have to be overcome, so it is impossible to say what should have been done without being there.

This was just posted on Japan Probe, http://www.japanprobe.com/2011/04/03/prime-minister-kan-caused-nuclear-plant-explosion-visit-to-fukushima-delayed-controlled-release-of-vapor/. While I have no way of knowing if this is truly the case, it sounds plausible. Whether it is "the" reason for delays, I don't know, but it is something all political leaders should take note. Emergency workers have to be able to do their jobs, without second guessing them. They are on the scene, they are trained for the situation, they have to be trusted. Whether you are the mayor or the Pope, you should never interfere with emergency workers doing their jobs. Ask them what you can do to help. They, emergency responders, are in charge because they were trained for the situation, you are trained for other tasks.

When I questioned the actions of the operators, I suspected that they delayed venting because of fear of some low level of radiation impacting the local population prior to evacuation. Frankly, I should have known better, they have studied everything and more than I have. The Prime Minister taking a helicopter tour being the reason, never crossed my mind. Now things that made no sense to me are starting to become clear. Now I have to wonder how many more well intentioned political decisions contributed to the situation.

No comments:

Blog Archive